November 28, 2006

Spiral of Silence theory

Most of you will not know what the heck I'm refering to in my previous post. The agenda setting theory is very straight forward - so no need for explanation.

The spiral of theory deals more of the fear of isolation. Let me first take from the Wikepedia the definition which is as compact as can be:
The spiral of silence is a political science and mass communication theory propounded by Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann. The theory asserts that a person is less likely to voice an opinion on a topic if one feels that one is in the minority for fear of reprisal or isolation from the majority (Anderson 1996: 214; Miller 2005: 277).


What I want to stress is that the general public will simply forward the SMS received so they have the feeling that "I have this information!" (which makes him powerful) and at the same time joining the majority that knows this news. They will not consider if this message is true or just lies.

Another tenet to the theory is that people will generally not raise an opinion which is different from the popular view. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit that in but roughly this is what the paper will be like.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home